February 23, 2012

Piracy: Good or Evil?


"Pirating", or illegally downloading music-is it acceptable, or should it not be done? I'm sure if you asked someone of a younger generation if they have ever pirated music, I'm sure a good amount would say they have at least once. I know I have before. While it is a quick and easy way to build a large music library for free, the artist is the one who suffers by not getting that money from the album. There are multiple fines in place if you do get caught, but there are so many torrent sites and people who put stuff on the internet that cracking down on piracy is next to impossible, as the internet is not a clearly governed space. My take on piracy is go for it if you don't currently have the means to legally buy the artist's material, or mind the possibility of getting caught, but if you truly enjoy the material you should at least spend the money to support the person or band.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a musician and a music pirate so I can relate to both sides of this issue. As a musician I really could care less as to how much I make off record sales because that's not what music is about. Job For A Cowboy, a death metal band from Arizona, released an EP over the summer but only printed 2,500 copies because they knew people would download it illegally anyways but still provide an actual CD for die-hard fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like it is a catch 22. It costs a lot of money to buy music but you want to support your favorite artists. I love to support my bands when i can... but iTunes sure likes to charges you for "popular" music! $1.29 a song is a little over priced. You wonder why people share music or pirate.

    ReplyDelete