March 14, 2012

THE PROS AND CONS OF GRAFFITI.

Urban culture has become more widely known and readily available than in recent years. Whether it be listening and purchasing rap and hip hop music or viewing urban art which has been termed Graffiti. It used to be the only graffiti known was gang symbols and taggings of a perverse or threatening nature on the side of a liquor store or any monolith in an area usually deemed unsuitable for any middle class and especially caucasian individual to roam. Now taggings and gang slogans have turned into poignant, positive pieces of art that are intended to not only ignite, but coalesce a community of graffiti artists or taggers into adding to the concrete jungles of  the world with a positive message turning concrete streets into walks of art. Sure the random gang symbol and moronic amphigory's are still readily available for everyone to turn their cheeks from but now the occasional bad has also turned into the occasional obsequious work of art. The issue for most is whether it is an exercise of a basic liberty or an encroachment on personal space. For most their speech and voice can be heard in many different ways, whether it be a pen to paper, a guitar to a song, or a can of paint and a brush to a wall. artistic freedom and liberties go hand in hand with the first amendment, but yet graffiti has been deemed highly illegal regardless of its nature. Gang slogans are viewed the same as epic murals with only positive messages in the court of law. Should all graffiti be illegal unless funded and paid for or should someones self expression and voice be allowed and legal even if their voice and message comes from a tin can?

3 comments:

  1. The city's Graffiti Is truly a thing of beauty and conflict. Yet you seem to have a true gift in being able to capture it's feeling with a camera lens... BRAVO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was 16 my boyfriend at the time was a "tagger" and I learned a lot about the graffiti world from him. I used to go with him to train yards, SF, Berkeley and all over. Like you said today "taggers" or artists have a whole world of their own that most don't really understand. Some of what I remember from back in high school that I learned from dating him.~> There's crews that are made up of "taggers" and sometimes you'll see maybe 3 letters or something to represent the crew added to their name. It is total disrespect to cross someones name out and put yours over it which can start a war almost (I can't think of all the right lingo at the moment, this was 16 years ago), people get stabbed and murdered in this world of graffiti as well. My ex used to have tons of magazines of people's "pieces" and articles selling things, giving tips, news on graffiti, etc. Twist (I believe was dudes name) was really popular in the bay area back then. I used to like looking through the magazines and trying to figure out what the name was or what the "piece" said.
    One day I was out with my boyfriend at train tunnel in Niles Canyon in Fremont and was bored so I thought while he was doing his thing I'd do my own. The picture below is my "artwork" from that day. Just don't laugh to bad cause I'm in no way trying to say I think have talent.
    I love the talent that graffiti artists/taggers have....it's definitely a skill!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't post the picture I was trying to so I posted it on my groups social issues blog. If your interested you can find it there.

      Delete